Salmon is packed with heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids and unlike most other fish, it stands up to high heat cooking methods (grilling, roasting, broiling). It is a shame that many people do not like it. Punch line?….
This recipe turned my hubby on to salmon…need I say more?
My jaw almost dropped to the floor when he gave me the thumbs up during dinner and said he wanted to eat salmon again. WHAAT??…..
This recipe taught me that the key to enjoying salmon (for those who thought they didn’t like it) is pairing it with bold ingredients and textures – spicy, sweet, sour, crunchy and salty – to mellow out that bold fish flavor.
This recipe is easy to prepare and I encourage you give it a shot even if you don’t have all of the ingredients.
No rice? – Use another whole grain or those leftover roasted vegetables you’ve been wondering what to do with the past couple of days.
No cucumbers or spinach? – Serve with crunchy carrots or a bag of slaw veggies.
No rice vinegar? – Use another mild vinegar (champagne, white wine or white balsamic), lime, lemon or other citrus juice.
No green onion? – Any onion finely chopped is just fine!
No avocado? – Store-bought guacamole is yummy too!
No salmon? – Try this recipe with ocean/sea trout, steelhead trout, striped bass or mackerel.
Spicy Salmon Bowls Spark Recipe
- 1 lb salmon filet, skinless
- 3 tbs unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 TBS lower sodium soy sauce
- 1 TBS Buffalo Wild Wings Asian Zing sauce (or your favorite spicy-sweet sauce)
- 2-3 green onions, thinly sliced (reserve dark green part for garnish)
- Baby Spinach
- Lundberg Wild Blend Rice, cooked
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- Spicy mayo: 2 TBS mayo + 2 tsp Buffalo Wild Wings Asian Zing sauce (or your favorite spicy-sweet sauce)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Lime wedges
- reserved dark green onion
- Chop salmon into 1.5 inch cubes, place in zip-top bag.
- Whisk marinade ingredients and pour over salmon. Seal bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 ºF. Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil, drizzle with avocado oil and use the back of a large spoon to grease the foil. Place salmon on roasting pan and discard marinade. Roast for 6 minutes. Remove salmon from oven, set oven and rack to broil, return to oven and broil until salmon begins to caramelize, 1-2 minutes.
- To serve: grab a big handful of spinach (make a gorgeous green bed for your meal), add a portion of whole grain rice and salmon. Garnish with avocado, cucumber, green onion, spicy mayo and lime juice.